Inspections for Business Licenses and Permits

Business owners may need the approval of the fire department prior to receiving licences and permits from other Township departments or some external agencies.

If a business owner needs a signature from the fire department on a licence or permit, an inspection of the business will be required. The business owner is obliged to pay for these inspections.

The cost of an inspection depends on the type of permit/licence and the nature of the business.

Licences & Permits that Require a Fire Inspection

Liquor Licence

Information is forwarded to the fire department for our approval. Once satisfied with the application, the Fire Department forwards the completed documents directly to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission.

Pyrotechnics & Fireworks (Setting off or Selling)

Fireworks cannot be sold in the Township of Central Frontenac without an appropriate business licence to do so. The licence will require a fire department inspection.

Two-Unit House & Rooming House Licensing

These types of buildings require either a building permit for construction, or depending on how long they've been used as such, may qualify for fire code retrofit. In these cases, if found guilty of a contravention of the Ontario Fire Code a person or a director of a corporation can be liable to a fine up to $50,000. The corporation can be liable to a fine of up to $100,000.

Keeping Records

When tests or corrective measures required by the Fire Code are carried out such as:

  • Annual inspections of smoke and CO alarms
  • Emergency lighting tests
  • Fire alarm annual inspections
  • Sprinkler annual inspections
  • Portable extinguisher annual inspections
  • Commercial kitchen suppression system 6-month inspection

A copy of the records must be maintained at the building for examination by the Fire Department if requested. Records of maintenance, checks, tests and inspections like those listed above must be maintained for at least 2 years after being prepared.

Contact Us